RIVERDALE: Archie Goes Dark


I've been reading Archie since I was around 6 years old, partly due to the fact that both of my older sisters each had a large collection of the comics. As I grew up, my obsession with the comics didn't stop, and even now that I'm past my mid-20's I still enjoy reading them and they never fail to uplift my mood.

When I found out that a TV series was going to be made based on Archie, I was ecstatic. However, not long after that, when the teaser trailer for the show was released, I was kind of disappointed. It looked like the show was going to be heading in a completely different direction than the comics: dark, mysterious, and ominous. Still, deep down, I had high hopes for the show. All hope was dashed though, when I found out that Josie, Valerie, and Melody were all going to be played by black actresses. No, I'm not a racist. At all. That's not what this was about. I just felt like with something as classic as Archie comics, if they're going to turn it into a TV show, they should at least stay as faithful to it as possible. It's like casting a blonde actress to play Veronica. It would just feel wrong. Won't it?

Well, today I watched the first episode and I must admit . . . I loved it. Probably because it was juicy as hell.

No matter how much I dreaded watching the show, I still couldn't help but feel excited as soon as the opening scene started. The show opened with a montage of the town Riverdale, and deep inside the kid in me was happy to see my entire childhood come to life on the small screen. 

If you're hoping for a faithful adaptation then I'm sorry to say that you will be disappointed. Without giving too much away about the plot itself, let me just say that there really are a lot of changes that were made from the comics. In fact, the only things that the show has in common with the comics are the characters' names and the location, but that's about it. Even the characters' personalities are different. They did a great job though at re-creating the Archie/Betty/Veronica love triangle. 

The theme of the show is that appearances can be deceiving, so the TV series definitely has a dark tone and is almost comparable to Pretty Little Liars in terms of plot and the overall vibe (even the town itself is a lot like Rosewood). At the very beginning of Riverdale, someone dies, and it seems as if the storyline will center around this character's death throughout the season (or at least throughout the next couple of episodes), how it happened, and most importantly who's responsible. 

Riverdale also has a very attractive cast and to be honest I already have a massive crush on Archie even though I never liked him in the comics. The soundtrack is pretty good too which is always a plus, because I have a tendency to judge all the TV shows I watch based on the music that they play. Aside from the fact that Archie is having a sexual affair with Miss Grundy on the show (yes, you read that right), it's also worth mentioning that Fred Andrews is played by Luke Perry. Yes, Luke Perry. As in Dylan Walsh from the original Beverly Hills 90210. If that doesn't get you to watch, I don't know what will.

The show is full of mystery and teenage angst, which isn't surprising considering it's a CW series. Do not expect laughter and joy from watching these characters. In fact, just forget all of your expectations and just go along for the ride. I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you've already seen the Riverdale pilot episode, what did you think about the changes they made? I'd love to know your thoughts so please sound off in the comments section below!


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.