MUSIC FESTIVALS: How The Philippines Has Stepped Up Its Game


"It's More Fun In The Philippines", they say. For the longest time I wasn't sure if I agreed with that statement. Sure, our country has many beautiful destinations, but when thinking about the word 'fun' in terms of parties, concerts, and social happenings, I was still a bit skeptical.

Recent events have forced me to reconsider my mindset, though. I've been particularly impressed with the concert scene here and how Manila has been able to book international bands such as Imagine Dragons, Bastille, and The 1975 for full-length shows.

Nowadays, perhaps the most popular happenings in foreign countries are the renowned music festivals -- Coachella in California, T in the Park in Scotland, Summer Sonic in Japan, the list goes on!

Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival

Indeed, I used to wish I was living back abroad just so I could attend these prestigious festivals. However, I noticed that the Philippines has become increasingly competitive as of late when it comes to organizing music events.

With the emergence of festivals such as Wanderland (which bears more than just a little resemblance to the now-mainstream Coachella), I've got to admit that our country is stepping up its game when it comes to providing us with quality entertainment.

With that being said, the main reason why I love the music festival scene here in Manila is because it makes me feel like I'm in a foreign country. If you attended the Wanderland festival last Saturday, then you'd know what I mean. Rocking out to live bands, mingling with and meeting new people who share the same interests as you, playing games at the various booths available, and seeing everyone dressed in their boho chic best . . . You almost felt like you were at Coachella and that Paris Hilton was somewhere near you taking selfies on a statue of a horse.

My indie soul has been satisfied because of Wanderland and soon enough, the party animal in me will be too, what with DreamFields drawing ever so near. The only thing I'm wishing for is an awesome EDM festival like the ones they have in Europe.


The Philippines has been lacking in terms of creating EDM events such as Pacha in the Netherlands and Parklife in the UK. Though relaxing with fellow hipsters at Wanderland is all well and good, there are times when I just want to get lost in a sea of gyrating bodies, blinded by the pulsing lights as I drown myself in electronic beats.

Many of my friends in Thailand have gone to European cities like Amsterdam for the sole purpose of attending an EDM festival and I've been told that there's nothing quite like it. Sadly, when I went to Amsterdam I was just 7 years old and unfortunately still too young to care about, let alone go to, music festivals. Now, however, I'm old enough and eager to go.

Though I don't think I'll be going back to Europe anytime soon (I'll save the travelling for after I graduate), I'm excited because I've been hearing talk about Anotherland -- an EDM music fest to be held in the South of Manila -- and it sounds extremely promising! Indeed, I have no doubts that it will meet my high standards if the other festivals here in Manila are anything to go by. Anotherland is an event created by Axell Entertainment and will be held on May 29. Will I see you there? I hope so!



11 comments:

  1. this sounds great, I wan to go to a music festival so bad

    check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    cityofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. kylie missed your blog and i love the new layout! this is so well written that i regret passing on Wanderland tuloy. it wasn't very appealing to me cause i thought it would be super mainit sa field all day. and for that i might also skip Anotherland. already have colds and fever cause of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than a great music festival! I haven't seen Imagine Dragons in concert, but would love to, though. T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the country definitely has been up a notch on these music festivals these days. That just shows how we Filipinos really value music. I wish they incorporate more of the indie bands too because I do think they deserve some spotlight. I haven't been into one but there are a lot of gigs here in Cebu and I find myself comfortable just listening to these. Maybe someday when they hold one here in Cebu, I might come! I'm looking forward to your post about Anotherland and see how it'll go :)

    Mimi | The Foxy Heroine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to any of these major festivals huhu but anyway these looks totally cool! Love your new layout too <3

    Join my giveaway
    www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cool that you're starting to get big festivals! Glastonbury is only about 30 minutes from me so I'm excited to attend this Summer!

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds great and in Philippines there are many great music festivals, dear :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also heard there are fantastic festivals and such over there, although I have never really been into them before.. plenty of time to change that though in the future! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really good thing to hear Kylie! Happy din ako that our country is now trying to showcase what's in us. We have so many talented musicians and they need to be celebrated and supported. In Cebu parang baby pa rin ang scene although meron nang mga supporters pero rare pa rin ang malaking festival. Looking forward for great things in the industry! :)))


    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree ako kay Tin! hehe. Unfortunately, hindi pa talaga siya masyadong known dito sa Cebu that's why I haven't attended one din. Sana may music fests na dito!

    www.itsjaninella.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.