MAKEUP TUTORIAL: Contouring & Highlighting

Let's face it. Most of us wish we could change certain aspects of our faces, but not all of us are willing to undergo plastic surgery to achieve our desired results. Some of us wish we had higher cheekbones, others wish they had different noses, and there are those who just wish for a more radiant complexion. Well, all of that is possible with makeup if you know the technique.

Contouring and highlighting is something that I incorporate into my daily makeup routine. Ever since I learned how to do it, I can't leave my house without 'sculpting' my face anymore. To those of you who don't know what contouring and highlighting is, it's basically a makeup technique that allows you to 'alter' your facial features using makeup alone, by shading certain areas to make them recede, and highlighting parts you wish to pop out more.

There are so many products you can use when doing this: powders, creams, liquid foundations, etc. Personally, I love using powders because they're easier to handle, but it all depends on you.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
* A powder that's at least two or three shades lighter than your skin tone (depending on how dramatic you want the look to be). This will serve as your 'highlighter'. You can use other alternatives such as bone-colored eyeshadow if you want to.
* A powder that's at least two or three shades darker than your skin tone. This will be used to 'contour'.
* Blush
* An angled contouring brush

For this tutorial, I used my good friend Bea as my 'face model'. Admittedly, I wasn't planning on doing this. I just went over to her house to relax and hang out with her and a couple of other friends, but it ended up turning into a makeover session lol. I didn't bring my camera at the time, so forgive me for these low-quality photos taken on Bea's iPad, but since this blog is all about my experiences with style and beauty, I just HAD to post these anyway.

Let's start with a fresh face:


Our aim is to be able to add more dimension and depth to Bea's facial features by applying highlighter, contouring powder, and blush. See the image below:


The white parts indicate the areas where you'll apply your highlighter. The brown parts indicate where you'll apply your contouring powder, and the pink parts indicate where you'll apply your blush. Apply the products using a small brush. Don't worry about making the "lines" look perfect.


Once you have applied the highlighter, contouring powder, and blush, take your makeup brush and carefully blend them to erase any unnatural lines.

And voila! You're done. Check out Bea's enhanced facial features with slightly lifted cheekbones, a more prominent nose with a higher bridge, and a glowing complexion!





Now, here's a "Before & After" photo for comparison:


How about you? Do you contour your face? If so, do you do it everyday or do you save it for special occasions? Sound off in the comments below!

x



21 comments:

  1. I save contouring for special occasions. Thanks for this post. It's very easy to understand and you did a great job! :)


    xoxo,
    Gelleesh.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tips!
    www.mrsnoone.it
    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Great job..I've never tried contouring before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to know how to countour and highlight the face. Thanks for the tips!! xx

    Vianne x

    www.viannedelrosario.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting, great job! I have to try it
    Kisses from Italy
    Diana
    The Spiral D
    Please take a look to my new fb page
    Facebook page

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this tutorial!!!! Great tips ^^
    xoxo

    Novelstyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this tutorial is so useful, I'm impressed on this AFTER effect!

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love contouring and highlighting! Great tips, Kyle! =)

    http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    xoxo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job dear!!! I contour my face on a daily basis ;) xo

    http://stylesensemoments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great tutorial! I usually contour my cheeks but haven't tried it on my nose...I need to try it now!
    xx,

    Paisley

    paisleynotplaid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing post! I try many and many times to do that, but i can't! Definitely i will try again! Thanks a lot for sharing this post! U are amazing!
    Kisses.
    xx cvety
    cvetybaby.com
    Instagram Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the result dear! I also love contouring! It gives my face a nice shape that goes well with my hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! Kylie babe, great job! Pwede pa contour din? :) mas lalong pretty na si friend mo :) Keep it up!

    xx,
    Jewel Clicks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial, very useful! Would you like to follow each other?

    http://www.ladynoree.tk/

    GIVEAWAY on my blog
    http://www.ladynoree.tk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful results! I don't really do contouring, I only use a blush, but I guess it is worth a try.

    http://bellapummarola.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing Kylie~!! wow you're a great make-up artist too. I love the results! so amazing! actually nabasa ko na ang post na 'to kaya lng di ako nakapag comment coz I was so sleepy na at that time. So weird kasi I dreamt about you having a make-up seminar with me in the audience hahaa tapos you demonstrated a make up pa. 0_0
    anyway, I already subscribed your channel in youtube :D I saw yuor videos na din, you have a very good voice Kylie! hmmmm.. I want to see make up tutorials in your vids someday hehe

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. good job on contouring bea's nose bridge :) thats my fave part, very noticable and it reminds me of kim kardashia, galing!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.